#Hackintosh: Install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on ThinkPad X61T (Tablet)
Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) on ThinkPad X61T (Tablet), Video card working, Audio card working, Wired network working, Hot key working, IBM Red point working, Smart scroller working, Finger scan device working, Extended display working, USB working, Almost all working, and the high resolution display (1440x1050) on 12.1 inch laptop is awesome!
##Index of Procedures
1. Modify you hard-disk partition.
2. Write the Mac OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Image
3. Install Mac OS X
4. Troubles after the installation and Solutions to them
5. Drivers for ThinkPad X61T specified hardware
6. System Upgrade - The Troubles and Solutions
7. SSD Optimizing on Snow Leopard
8. Install `homebrew` instead of MacPort
9. Something fun
10. Websites and blogs about Hackintosh
11. What if I know earlier
##1. Modify you hard-disk partition.
* First need to be done is to prepare the hard-disk, I had a 128GB SSD, and here is the partition of my hard-disk.
* Partition 1. Windows (50GB) - Already installed Windows 7
* Partition 2. Temp (8GB) - For the hard-disk installation.
* Partition 3. Mac OS X Snow Leopard (60GB) - The partition I want to install Mac OS X.
* Procedure 1 is DONE.
##2. Write the Mac OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Image into the volume 2.temp (8GB)
* We will firstly installed OS X 10.6.3 and then upgrade to 10.6.8. I use iAntares 10.6.3 v2.2.iso (2.74GB) instead of Mac.OS.X.10.6.3.Retail.dmg (6.36GB), because install the modified image is simpler than the original image.
* Step 1. Delete the volume temp under Windows system using the `disk management` (Computer -> Right click -> Manage -> Disk-management), then create a new volume __without format it__ (very important)
* Step 2. Run a program called “Leopard Hard-disk Installation Assistant” in administrator mode, select the image (iAntares.iso file) and volume, cancel the three combo box below, and hit “write” button to write the image into temp volume.
* Step 3. Install a boot loader program with administrator permission, I use Boot-Think - a program wrote by Chinese (v2.4.6, higher version not works on my laptop), by the way, I also installed Chameleon, they can coexist.
* Reboot, procedure 2 is DONE.
##3. Install Mac OS X
* Step 1: __Boot selection__ - There will be a selection menu after the reboot, select `Boot Think` and choose the one with words __iAntares 10.6.3 v2.2__, and it will start booting, the installation begin.
* Step 2: __Format Volume__ - Choose the language -> Agree with the announcement -> Menu bar on top -> Open __Disk Utility__, select the volume you want to install OS X and _Erase_ it (_Volume Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and Name it_) -> Then continue the installation.
* Step 3: __Customize (Important)__ - Specific the __Hardware Drivers__, __System Patches__, __Utilities__.
* Step 4: __Boot Loader section__: Mark EthernetBuiltIn, UseBusFix.
* Step 5: __Hardware Drivers__ - Look the details blow carefully and make the right choice.
* Graphic Cards: I didn’t pick, my graphic card is Intel X3100, and it works after the installation, I don’t know about ATI and NVidia.
* Sound Cards: I install AppleHDA, but it not work, we’ll talk about it latter.
* Ethernet Cards: Sorry I forget which I selected.
* Wireless Cards: Not works no matter what I choose, we’ll solve it latter.
* PS/2 Key board and Mouse: The first one.
* Chipsets: No one.
* Power Management: AppleACPIBatteryManager, VoodooBatter 1.3.2, VoodooPowerAcpi 1.2.5, VoodooPState.
* Others: IOPCMCIAFamily, VoodooSDHC.
* Step 6: __System Patches__ - ElliottForceLegacyRTC, fakesmc v2.5, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, NullCPUPowerMangement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, VoodooTSCSync.
* Step 7: __Utilities__ - All of them exclude the last one (I’m Intel CPU)
* Step 8: Waiting for installation complete.
* Install Failed, that’s OK just restart, and re-enter the “Boot Think”, and you will see the Mac OS Snow Leopard option.
* Procedure 3 installation is DONE, and there are some Chinese references I used.
* (Chinese) [Mamong CSDN](http://blog.csdn.net/mamong/article/category/888047) - About Hackintosh, Objective-C, iOS-Dev, Mac-Dev, Algorithms.
* (Chinese) [ThinkPad x61t macos 安装笔记.](http://www.liangliang.org.cn/blog/?p=642)
* (CHinese) [【mac os x安装方案】新手安装指南：一步一步在Windows安装苹果雪豹系统【远景】](http://blog.csdn.net/mamong/article/details/6791740)
##4. Troubles after the installation and Solutions to them
* Methodology: The way to install Mac OS X driver is put the “kext” file into the path “`/System/Library/Extensions/`” and run a program called `Kext Utility`, it will automatically fix the driver the restart the computer. If you got any kernel panic, don’t panic, you will get more of these just like what I experienced, it eventually will past. There are 2 way to boot again. `CLR - Command line mode` (by pressing F8 at BootThink interface and type -v -F and hit [ENTER]), or `GUI - Graphic User Interface mode), use `LEFT `and `RIGHT` key to select the Mac OS X, and Press `Down` key to chose boot mode - `Ignore cache`. You will successfully boot the computer, then remove what you have done before, and run `Kext Utility` again. Then try another kext file. You can use `dmesg` command to check the boot message under mac os.
* After the installation, my Display (Video Card Driver) - Intel(R) 965, GMA X3100 will working, second display working (I have one), Hot-Key working.
* But my Wired Netowrk - Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Netowrk Card not working, Wireless Network - Intel (R) Wireless 4965G(AGN) not working, Audio - Analog AS1984 Intel 82801HBM ICH8M not working. We’ll fix them one by one. (Recommend “Small move” - fix one by one, if any problem occurred, you know where the problem is.)
1. Description: Unable to boot without press `F8` in BootThink stage and add parameters `-x32`.
1. Solution: Open terminal, (1) `cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/`, (2) `sudo cp com.apple.Boot.plist com.apple.Boot.plist.bak`, (3) edit the file with vim of text editor you like, `vim com.apple.Boot.plist`, make it looks like this `Kernel Flags
2. Description: unable find drive for this platform ACPI darwin mac os x.
2. Solution: Reinstall - I search the web and the solution doesn’t works on my laptop (ThinkPad X61T 1440*1050 Res)
3. Description: Wired network not works.
3. Solution: Use a new “Intel82566MM.kext” file replace the original file, the original wired network card driver Intel8256MM.kext (143KB) which was installed during the system installation is not works, I search the web and found another one, same name but larger (442KB). Here is the procedures to get the wired network works:
* Step 1/: Put the new Intel82566MM.kext file you download from my site on your desktop, and open the terminal.
* Step 2/: Backup the original kext file, `sudo mv /System/Library/Extension/Intel82566MM.kext /System/Library/Extension/Intel82566MM.kext.bak`
* Step 3/: Copy the kext file to the right place `sudo cp ~/Intel82566MM.kext /System/Library/Extensions/Intel82566MM.kext`
* Step 4/: Change the file owner `sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext`
* Step 5/: Change the file permission `sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext`
* Step 6/: Delete the old kext cache `sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache`, `sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext`, and create new kext cache `kextcache -K /System/Library/Extensions`
* Reboot your computer, it should be works, if don’t, more Google.
4. Audio Driver
* To solve the audio problem, there are two files: `AppleAzaliaAudio.kext` and `AppleHDA.kext`. put them in `/System/Library/Extensions/` and run the program `Kext Utility`
* Procedure 4 Troubleshooting is DONE.
##5. Drivers for ThinkPad X61T specified hardware
* Red Point Scroll, install [Smart Scroll](http://www.marcmoini.com), need a restart to complete the installation. You will find the setting in `System Preferences`.
* FingerPrint: Use [ProtectorSuiteMac](http://www.google.com) or [TruSuit](http:www.google.com/), Install it and restart is needed, Open `System Preferences`
* Tablet, you need three file: A new `Apple16X50Seruak,.kext`, `TabletEnabler.kext`, and `[TabletMagic.dmg](http://thinkyhead.com/tabletmagic/)`.
* Step 1: Backup old `Apple16X50.kext` with command `sudo mv Apple16X50.kext Apple16X50.kext.old`
* Step 2: Copy the two kext file into `/System/Library/Extensions/
* Step 3: Run the program `Kext Utility`
* Step 4: Restart your computer. Open `Serial port` in your BIOS
* Step 5: Enable the Tablet in TabletMagic.
* Wireless Card: The original wireles network card is Intel 4965G, and this is definitely no driver solution existed. So I had to change a wireless card, after the search, I found Atheros 5418/58XB72 is original used by Apple on MacBook, so bought it on TaoBao.
The the nightmare begin, after I plugin the new wireless card, all of my USB devices not working, and the system is become very slow especially the Networking Preference, I finally give up after at least ten times force-shutdown/reboot computer, wireless network card driver was/is/will be the biggest problem in Hackintosh.
(The kernel panic screenshot I got due to the Atheros 5418 Wireless Card)
* Procedure 5 Drivers for ThinkPad specified hardware is DONE
##6. System Upgrade - The Troubles and Solutions
* After the system upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8, there will be servals troubles.
* Warning: Do not upgrade the `Security Package` and the `AirPort Package` you may won’t get into system again after the upgrade.
1. Description: Kernel Panic “Version mis-match between kernel and CPU”
* Step 1: Delete the System/Library/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext in Windows with the help of HFS+.
* Step 2: Boot the Mac OS X using ignore cache mode under graphic interface, if you are using command line interface (`F8`), then add `-f` for ignore cache.
* [Kernel Panic “Version mis-match between kernel and CPU”](http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8274)
2. Description: Audio not working after the repairation of kernel panic
2. Solution: Reinstall the “AppleHDA.kext”, because system installed new AppleHDA file during the system upgrade. Copy the “AppleHDA.kext” file into the `System/Library/Extensions` folder and run the `Kext Utility` program. After the program done, restart the computer.
3. Description: Sleep not work, because I remove it to solve the kernel panic problem.
3. Solution: In order to get the sleep function work again, a new SleepEnabler.kext is need, and this SleepEnabler.kext must be Mac OS X 10.6.8 specified, I didn’t find it yet.
* Procedure 6 System upgrade is DONE
##7. SSD Optimizing on Snow Leopard
* Follow this, all done! for English [Tuning Mac OS Snow Leopard for SSD](http://www.kargl.net/node/141). For Chinese [Mac OS X 下与 SSD 相关的优化](http://blog.jjgod.org/2010/04/17/macosx-ssd-tweaks/), don’t forget the most important - turn the __SSD TRIM Support__ on.
* A command line mode to open SSD TRIM support [在OS X Mountain Lion中打开SSD Trim功能](http://appdp.com/topic/8197/)
* Procedure 7 SSD optimizing on snow leopard is DONE.
##8. Install `homebrew` instead of MacPort
* The principle is simple, download the homebrew compiled package, and untar it to any location, then make a link to `/usr/local/bin/brew` so you can use it at anywhere. One line get all this done `mkdir homebrew && curl -L https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/tarball/master | tar xz —strip 1 -C homebrew`, and don’t foget the change the permission with `sudo chown -R $USER /usr/local`.
* [here is the installation guide](https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/wiki/installation). Some helpful QA [How to install Homebrew on Mac OSX Snow Leopard?](http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9904850/how-to-install-homebrew-on-mac-osx-snow-leopard), [Installing in Homebrew errors](http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4804169/installing-in-homebrew-errors)
* Procedure 8 Install homebrew is DONE
##9. Something fun
* Extract the gorgeous introduction video and audio, them are located at `System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/TransitionSection.bundle/Contents/Resources/`, copy them out.
##10. Websites and blogs
* About Hackintosh and
* [Kext Download](http://olarila.com/kexts/)
* [OS x86 - Hackintosh Download](http://www.osx86.net/): Key-words: Hackintosh Tools, Bootloaders, Miscellaneous, Videocards, Audio, Network, Chipset, Use Images/Packages, Kernels, ISO, DSDT, iOS Hack.
* [OS x86 Project](http://www.osx86project.org/), [OS x86 Project Wiki](http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page).
* Software for Mac
* [Mac OS X (Snow Leopard) for Physicists](http://hitoshi.berkeley.edu/macosx/)
* [Mac Update](https://www.macupdate.com/)
##11. What I Learned
* I should do it 10 months ago, but I quit in front of difficulty, then I understand something.
* Old Chinese story - The young horse cross the river: People have different measurement, I only know when I try it by myself.
(Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard on 12.1 inch ThinkPad X61 Tablet with a 1440 x 1050 resolution screen)